Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > Chefs and Cooks Corner > Alfredo Sauce

Viewing Thread: Alfredo Sauce
Subscribe
April 22, 2004 3:32 PM quote 
 is offline
I would like to add Alfredo Sauce to my menu. I have tried some of the prepackaged sauces and they are ok, but nothing great. I have made Alfredo sauce many times at home, but never at work.

What is the best method? Made to order? Or do you make it in the morning and keep it cold until an order comes in?
Sponsorship
April 22, 2004 5:52 PM quote 
 is offline
What do you mean "add Alfreado Sauce to my menu"? It's a sauce, how/with what are you serving it?

The best way of course is to make it to order.
April 22, 2004 7:32 PM quote 
 is offline
Not sure what is unclear. Currently, I do not have Alfredo sauce on my menu. I would like to add it. I have a variety of homemade sauces and pastas, but not alfredo sauce.

I prefer to make all my sauces ahead of time in the morning. I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to cream sauces. Wondering if you make a few quarts in the morning/afternoon what is the proper way to keep the sauce.

Sponsorship
April 22, 2004 8:54 PM quote 
 is offline
P, how many folks do you cook for? I run around 100 or so on average, and serve 10 or so Alfredo plates when I run it. (it's only a special here)
I make it for the order- all you need to do is have your pasta cooked. I put about 1/2 cup of cream, 1/2 cup of chicken stock in a saute pan. to this i add about 4 tbsp. butter. when the butter melts i drop 6 oz precooked pasta (but only lightly rinse- you ned as much starch as you can get) and let that come to a boil. the sauce gets a little foamy as the starch starts the thinckening. when i t is boiling, i turn off the heat and stir in 2 beaten egg yolks- this thickens the sauce. then you just add parmesan (about 4oz) and presto!

(i top it w/ shrimp and crabmeat most of the time, but we are a seafood joint)
April 23, 2004 10:19 AM quote 
 is offline
P********:

The true chefs will tell you we're wrong but it works. We added pasta after being open several years as an optional side or ala carte plate. Add ons to the pasta, shrimp, chicken, vegs, etc.

We make our white wine & cheese sauce (alfredo) about a gallon or more at a time using 1/2 & 1/2, milk, ( have used heavy cream), a cooked roux (about the color of the good looking young lady that was in last night's hair), two white cheeses, wine, white pepper, top with parmesan w/parsley, and anything else you like. We go through anywhere from none to a couple of batchs a day. Therefore, we prepare and hold refrigerated. It will reheat, sometimes needing to thin with either wine (my favorite) or milk - 1/2 & 1/2, chicken base, etc.

Our reason for preparing and holding is ticket hang time and the number of people in the kitchen.

Works for us, others will argue.
April 25, 2004 10:10 PM quote 
 is offline
A trained chef will scoff at this method. But us "old-skool-up-by-our- boot-strap" pros know whatever works best goes. Just melt 8oz of cream cheese into 1 qt of heavy cream. Cool and will last days. Just melt in saute pan and add to freshly drained pastaTop with fresh parm cheese. You could saute shrimp, chicken etc. before adding pasta. Crazy easy and taste great.
April 26, 2004 1:19 PM quote 
 is offline
Thanks for the help.

John and Silver have the type of ideas that I am looking for. Based on size of restaurant, kitchen size and staff, etc. making the sauce to order is not a realistic option for me. Also, I try to avoid doing stuff like that because I think it can create inconsistency from one cook to another.

I guess it is time for me to start experimenting.
April 26, 2004 1:21 PM quote 
 is offline
Oh forgot to ask. Anybody make the sauce ahead and keep warm (i.e. in a steam table)? Basically, the same way you would (or at least I would) with gravy.

Is this possible with a cream sauce? A little help from the chefs who have some of that fancy book learnin'.
April 26, 2004 4:00 PM quote 
 is offline
There is an item out there called Culinary Cream or something like that, it works wonders in place of some of the cream and will not break down on a steamtable. All others seem to.
April 26, 2004 4:14 PM quote 
 is offline

Combination of old school and new school methods :

Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce - 6 Servings

2 tablespoons butter
3 cups heavy cream
3 cups chicken stock (canned chicken broth is fine)
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with water as needed -cream consitency "slurry"
1 1/2 Tbl grated fresh parmesan cheese or mixture of Romano and Parmesan (9 oz cheese total)
Pinch of minced fresh parsley
salt and ground black pepper to taste

In a large saute pan melt the whole butter adding the minced garlic. Saute the garlic on low heat to release its flavor - do not brown, add the chicken stock and reduce by half. In a separate pot reduce the heavy cream by half. Add to chicken stock and reduce to desired consistency if needed. For holding if you like you could add the cornstarch and water mixture slowly while stirring until the sauce begins to thicken slightly. Add only as much of the cornstarch "slurry" as needed, note that the parmesan cheese will also act as a thickening agent so it is best to add it at the very end while tossing your pasta with the sauce, adding the parsley and salt and pepper. Taste the alfredo sauce and adjust the seasonings as needed. Serve immediately.
All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: July 22, 2014 9:23 AM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.