Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > Restaurant Biz Talk > How many items should a restaurant start on the menu?

Viewing Thread: How many items should a restaurant start on the menu?
Subscribe
April 5, 2005 2:01 AM quote 
nrc0007 is offline nrc0007
 How many items should a restaurant start on the menu?
I just got a copy of the menu at a new restaurant where I will be working. There are 50 or so unique menu items (12 app, 2 soup, 6 salad, 9 pasta/pizza, 9 seafood, 10 grill, 9 special), not including desserts or a brunch menu. This isnt a franchise restaurant or anything, full kitchen, and the executive chef is very well trained, but I think he might be acting over ambitiously. There are 80 seats plus patio (100 total). What would be the best course of action? Realize that this is not my restaurant, but I dont want it to fail.
Sponsorship
April 5, 2005 1:45 PM quote 
YVETTE is offline YVETTE

If it goes over 38 pages and 250 items, it will be a record.

If you are not the owner, it is not your decision as to how many items are on the menu.

50 items is not excessive in my opinion.

Yvette
April 5, 2005 3:33 PM quote 
Tony C is offline Tony C

50 items isn't that large of a menu. Your standard McDonald's probally has close to that. 50 Items seems like a good place to start this menu off. The owner may add more later and I would certainly expect that to happen. If you are unhappy with the menu you may consider finding work elsewhere. Though not many full service restaurants have menus smaller than this.

I am assuming this is a full serivce sit down restarant. I would understand your concern if this was a Pizza Parlor.

Tony
You can't get anywhere unless you start !!!!!:cool:
Sponsorship
April 5, 2005 10:19 PM quote 
KAYLINDA108441 is offline KAYLINDA108441
 To Yvette
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
Lots of love to you!

KAYLINDA
www.justusbuffet.com

April 6, 2005 10:09 PM quote 
ami is offline ami

Large menus fit a small scale dining community, where you want to get as many people in as often as possible, like in Kay's situation.
in a larger diverse dining area, I believe eveyone should do what they do best, and keep it at that. people will come to you for something YOU do best, or you're the only one that serves it. 8-12 entrees(total) with 2-4 starters/apps/salads, with a good interchanging special list is the best way for a high pace spot.
having said that, your boss is your boss. go with his flow atleast until you can prove him wrong. don't undermine his initial creativity.

Ami
All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: July 30, 2014 5:03 AM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.