Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > Restaurant Biz Talk > Cost of a Commercial Kitchen

Viewing Thread: Cost of a Commercial Kitchen
Subscribe
March 23, 2006 1:29 PM quote 
kiamo is offline kiamo
 Cost of a Commercial Kitchen
Hi all,

I'm in the midst of working on a business plan and trying to figure out the cost of building a commercial kitchen in a brand new space. The space is 1700 square feet and only has a bathroom. I know the cost of the hood/ventilation will cost the most. I was thinking of having my kitchen around 300-400 square feet with the basics such as a 60" range dual oven, sinks, refrigeration, 2 basket fryer, etc.

Any estimates on the entire cost would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsorship
March 23, 2006 2:12 PM quote 
nowIamone is offline nowIamone

Define your concept, so you can identify you menu items. Then go see the equipment suppliers. They'll help.
March 23, 2006 2:28 PM quote 
BurgerMan1 is offline BurgerMan1

You should be desigining your menu first.

Once you have decided what you will offer, then that will drive your equipment purchases. A lot of the cost will be detrmined by the type of equipment and how good you are at scrounging. You could possibly furnish your kitchen area for a couple of thousand, on the other end you could put 20-25,000 in that space. Depends on your menu, needs and scroungability!

"This business isn't about what the customer sees...It's about what the customer believes!"

Sponsorship
March 24, 2006 3:38 PM quote 
kiamo is offline kiamo

Thanks for some of the responses. My menu items have been worked out and I know the equipment that I need. Is the $25k mentioned in one of the reply just for the equipment as well as the flooring, walls, etc?
May 27, 2011 11:23 AM quote 
scotfree is offline scotfree

I can estimate about $12-15k for the major cooking equipment depending on size of course.

Range-$2-3k ea

Refrigerator- $2.5k ea

Freezer $2.5k ea

Fryer - $800 ea

Ice Machine -$2.5k

Sinks, Worktables, $1k

Thank you.
Weapon of choice: my commercial range
May 27, 2011 10:16 PM quote 
kaffeenjunkie is offline kaffeenjunkie

you can spend as little as a table top fryer and a few goerge foreman grills (see starting a burger stand) to pretty much the sky is the limit.

I suggest you look at several of the hundreds of websites on line that sells equipment from that you should be able to gain a pretty good idea on the euipment costs. Don't forget to add shipping and handling fee to your pricing.

life is like plastic wrap

"The difference between excellence and mediocrity is a very small effort."
Flatlander

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."
--William Ralph Inge,

Our Website is www.fullcitycafe.com

Find us on Facebook

Twitters and tweets

FOHBOH

Blog

May 28, 2011 1:35 PM quote 
michael112931 is offline michael112931

Kiamo,

Everyone here is correct. I don't know your concept, but design the menu first. Then you will see what pieces of equipment you need. If you are going to get a convection style oven, I would reccommend looking into a RATIONAL oven. They are worth the extra investment and I haven't had one break down in 6 years as long as you have a water treatment hooked up to it. I have built 7 kitchens from scratch. The biggest expense is between the hood system, installation of the equipment and utility area. Dish machines are very costly. I would venture to say you will be looking at close to $50-$60K total spend, if you can get a deal on GOOD used equipment it will take that down by about $12K to fill in about 500 sq ft of your 1700 ft. Make sure whomever lays out your equipment designs it  for proper thru-put. You want it to flow so no-one gets jammed up.

The reason my estimate is higher than what you see from the other guys is that you said brand new space. You are going to need everything. You will need countertops, storage racks, smallwares, plumbing for water, gas line plumbing. grease traps and electrical work etc.. There are a bunch of needs when starting from scratch.  That stuff is what's expensive. If you need help, I can point you to several people that can help.

Chef Mike

Last edited: May 29, 2011 5:34 PM by michael112931
May 28, 2011 3:26 PM quote 
Antonh is offline Antonh
 hood

You mentioned thinking the hood being the most expensive part. That is probably right. When we did our expansion we were told to figure about $1000 per linear foot of hood needed. That was a fully installed estimate to use as a ballpark figure. The number can climb if you need a low profile hood, in case you have limited head room. Plus depending on the ventilation of the place you could need a make-up air unit that will also increase the price. Those are just a couple of the things that I ran into for the hood.

Don't Fix The Blame, Fix The Problem.
June 2, 2011 4:39 PM quote 
Steve A is offline Steve A

. o O ( Pssst.  Guys, that question was asked 5 years ago. )

Give 'em what they want. Just make it better than they expected. 

June 7, 2011 7:44 PM quote 
Antonh is offline Antonh

But I didn't know that information 5 years ago. LOL

Don't Fix The Blame, Fix The Problem.
All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: October 24, 2014 12:48 PM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.