Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > Restaurant Biz Talk > HOW TO Clean a Griddle?

Viewing Thread: HOW TO Clean a Griddle?
Subscribe
June 28, 2006 10:52 AM quote 
CutMeMick is offline CutMeMick
 HOW TO Clean a Griddle?
Hey all,
I'm having problems cleaning my griddle (i cook burgers on) and have heard so many ways to "clean" the griddle that i have no idea which is best.

I try to keep it spotless but it never works... i've used the "brick" and the Scotchbrite mesh grill with scuff pad... for both i've tried hot water then scrub... and tried Veg. Oil and scrubed... neither worked very well at all.

I just heard of a new one, put ice on the HOT griddle and it will "boil it off". Won't this possibley crack the Griddle?

Thanks all for the help!
J
Sponsorship
June 28, 2006 12:26 PM quote 
Irondell is offline Irondell

Ice and water, then scrub while it is still semi hot. How thick is your flat top? If the brick and veggie oil isn't working, maybe you have the heat on too high. Also keeping it scraped during the day so you do not let the grease cook on is an important step to maintaining it.
June 28, 2006 12:37 PM quote 
panduh is offline panduh

How are you scrubbing it? I always press down with both hands and scrub with very small focused rubbing movements. Kind of similar to the way I sharpen my knives actually :o
Sponsorship
June 28, 2006 12:39 PM quote 
YVETTE is offline YVETTE

A Japanese place I have been to uses water with a stainless steel scrubbie for a very fast clean up. They hold the scrubbie with a wet towel and scrub off the grill. Not sure if they put anything in the water. I have never tried it but have thought I might.

I prefer to use grill screens with oil rather than grill bricks. I think they get the grill cleaner and they don't make you stink like those nasty grill bricks! Either way just takes lots of muscles.
Y
June 28, 2006 12:47 PM quote 
panduh is offline panduh

Yep, thats what we do too. We just pour some water over the griddle while its still very hot and scrub it with this steel cloth thingee with a towel over it. Small hard rubs. Then we wipe it down and wipe on some vegetable oil. Every month or so we use the grill cleaner, but no more than once every 3 weeks. It scrapes off all that good non-stick seasoning.

YVETTE wrote:
A Japanese place I have been to uses water with a stainless steel scrubbie for a very fast clean up. They hold the scrubbie with a wet towel and scrub off the grill. Not sure if they put anything in the water. I have never tried it but have thought I might.

I prefer to use grill screens with oil rather than grill bricks. I think they get the grill cleaner and they don't make you stink like those nasty grill bricks! Either way just takes lots of muscles.
Y
June 28, 2006 1:30 PM quote 
BurgerMan1 is offline BurgerMan1

I was always told that water should never been put on the grill, the changing temp can cause warpage of the surface. Don't know if that's true!

Lava rock and some good old fashioned elbow grease in the 5# container. Lots of towels. Finish off with a gentle coating of oil. The best way to keep a flattop clean is to keep it clean as you go. A good scraper with a good handle can do wonders from keeping the build up to a minimum.

Yvette..the reason the chinese do that (assume) is because they are cleaning one sauce out before they cook another dish and to keep it from burning to the wok. Woks cook at a very high temp and any liquid is quickly evaporated.

"This business isn't about what the customer sees...It's about what the customer believes!"

June 28, 2006 3:06 PM quote 
Steve A is offline Steve A

I've used soda water or 7-up/Sprite followed by a rinse with fresh water.

Ice does work, but it's a major 'shock' to the metal if the flattop's still smoking hot. Let it cool down a bit.

Dell's probably on the right track if he's pulling his info from Chili's. They have flattops that gotta be clean.

Ciao,

Give 'em what they want. Just make it better than they expected. 

June 28, 2006 5:20 PM quote 
Brandon94275 is offline Brandon94275

I've used grill bricks and grill screens successfully. I have a friend with a Japanese steakhouse that uses the steel wool and wet towels with water. They clean after every meal they cook, so the process doesn't need to be as aggressive.

With the grill bricks and grill screens, I've always used the same process:

- Shut the grill off, but make sure to scrape and clean while it's still hot. Once it cools down, you'll have a much harder time getting it spotless.

- Dump ice on the grill and scrape. We always used ice instead of water because it didn't evaporate as fast, so it sped up the scraping process. Never had a problem with warpage or anything else.

- Ladle fryer grease onto the grill.

- Splash lemon juice or liquid grill cleaner on the grill. Lemon juice is cheaper and I think it works better.

- Spread oil and lemon juice around the grill with grill brick or grill screen topped by a sponge brillo pad and grill screen press with a handle.

- Scrub in circular motions, some up and down, and side to side until clean.

- Back scrape everything on the grill into the grease trap, then wipe down with a damp towel. I usually only need one towel, occasionally two.

I think the grill bricks require less scrubbing to use, but the grill screens are cheaper because they last longer. I have always been curious to see if my same method would work scrubbing with steel wool and a wet rag.
Brandon O'Dell
email:

O'Dell Restaurant Consulting

phone: (888) 571-9068
web: http://www.bodellconsulting.com
blog: http://blog.bodellconsulting.com
June 28, 2006 5:39 PM quote 
MIKE103736 is offline MIKE103736

I use liquid oven cleaner in a gallon container called "Lerro". Turn the grill off 5 min before cleaning. You want the surface warm but not to the point it will warp or crack the grill. Pour on a 50/50 mixture of the cleaner and water and let sit for 5 min. The grill is going to foam up then settle down. I then add a lil more water and use a grill scraper to rake off all the residue. The sides of the grill especially the back splash I might actually scrap. Using a cheap vinegar I rinse off the grill to neutralize the acid. With a vinegar towel in the right hand and a dry towel in the left I begin wiping front to back moving left to right. The vinegar towel will clean the grill like new and by immediately drying it with the left hand it will stay bright and shiny. I light coat of clean oil will ensure the grill still looks good the next morning.
Drawbacks: Cost a little more than the grill bricks but less than the scotch brite chem system. You are exposing yourself and your equipment to a strong chemical and without precautions you will damage both.
Advantages: I have used this method for over 15 years and have never used anything else that will leave your grill as clean with less than 3 min actual work. The vinegar smells strong when it gets warm but nothing like the sulfur smell of a finger burning grill brick.
Mike
June 28, 2006 6:35 PM quote 
Chef Rajh is offline Chef Rajh

I like to pour degreaser straight onto my hot flat top, i boils off almost all the crud, scrape the rest off the hit it w/ lemon juice for the silver shine. Never had any problems w/ warping.
All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: October 25, 2014 9:23 AM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.