Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > Chefs and Cooks Corner > How to reheat precooked frozen prime rib?

Viewing Thread: How to reheat precooked frozen prime rib?
Subscribe
August 19, 2007 1:07 AM quote 
Bob is offline Bob
 How to reheat precooked frozen prime rib?
Does anyone have any constructive tips for heating precooked frozen prime rib? I have 90 ten ounce portions to prepare for a school board convention.

After defrosting the meat I was thinking of putting them in a steamer to heat them and keep them moist. Is there a better way to do this? I don't want to dry them out.

Thanks!

Bob
Sponsorship
August 19, 2007 1:39 PM quote 
Terri the lunch lady is offline Terri the lunch lady

Hi Bob,
Hopefully someone will come along with more knowledge than I. I have reheated fresh cold turkey meat (60 some whole birds cooked and pulled over a couple of days) in the steamer and then kept them in a lined ice chest for hours and they stayed hot and moist BUT prime rib I don't know. If you do it that way I wouldn't steam them long and I wouldn't do too many at a time but you probably already know that. Good Luck and I hope someone comes along soon with some real knowledge! If all else fails serve a honkin' good gravy over it! ;)

rose.gif
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain" Unknown

August 19, 2007 2:45 PM quote 
Beth Food Write is offline Beth Food Write
 You can do it,
but use a good beef base - not a salt one - for the liquid.

Good prime rib will hold for about 2 hours. The thinner the cut, the better. Cheaper cuts of meat or the commercial prime ribs will last for a shorter period of time.

Food Write
The Responsible Serving of Alcoholic Beverages

Sponsorship
August 19, 2007 6:58 PM quote 
YVETTE is offline YVETTE

Wrap very tightly in plastic wrap and then put in hot/boiling water. This keeps the natural juices in and does not water it down. I have seen our chef do this with leftover prime and it works well. I can ask him tomorrow if there are any other specifics to add.

Y
August 19, 2007 7:14 PM quote 
prisonchef is offline prisonchef

bob,
use your steamer as your heat source and use yvette's method of wrapping tightly in commercial film before they go in. if for some reason one of the portions has a leak in the wrapping you are still in moist enviroment.
i use a somewhat similar method to reheat whole beef briskets in my bbq business (wrap in film,wrap in heavy gauge foil and reheat in the smoker) and it works like a charm!!!!
now if i would have just had the foresight to get a steamer......................
jack
ps. you can do this directly from the freezer--wrap--perf pan---steam--it just takes longer but is more HACCP friendly-
2 Greyhounds....SMOKIN!!!!
"It's Tail Waggin Good"
August 19, 2007 7:23 PM quote 
Bob is offline Bob

Thank you all for your reply. I hadn't thought about using plastic wrap and I like the idea of using plastic wrap in combination with the steamer.

The freezer--wrap--perf pan---steam--would be more HACCP friendly- but my supplier just told me that the meat comes in boneless pre-cooked large roasts which will have now have to be semi-defrosted before being run through our mechanical slicer prior to wrapping and steaming.

Bob
August 20, 2007 1:23 AM quote 
John79496 is offline John79496

Bob:

Depending on your equipment you might try one of these. They work for me and the customers.

First I would guess you are doing 6 or 7 roasts.

Like prisonchef I use the smoker with a little different twist. I put them on a rack in a hotel pan with film then foil. I do not add juice as I don't care for the potential par boiled effect.

I have also used a 450 degree oven for 45 mins. to 1 hr. The high temp will bring them up w/o cooking. You might have to go longer if you load the oven with four pans.

Prisonchef:

Do you smoke or bake you prime???
I smoke mine.

Thanks, come back, bring friends and money!!!

All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: October 25, 2014 2:13 AM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.