Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > CafTalk (OnSite / Non-commercial) > Correctional (Prison) Food Service

Viewing Thread: Correctional (Prison) Food Service
Subscribe
December 20, 2008 10:34 PM quote 
CarolinaGirl is offline CarolinaGirl
 Correctional (Prison) Food Service
I was wanting to know if anyone has any experience and advice for someone starting out in correctional food service. I will probably be starting as a food service office in a month or so. From what I understand, the inmates do most of the actual cooking, but we will be preparing some meals, documenting and inventorying everything, and making sure that the inmate workers follow recipes, procedures, ans sanitation guidelines.

As far as my background, I've been a correctional officer for 5 years, and have limited food service experience [2 years as a part-time student employee in college cafeteria settings - mostly prep, serving line, and simple things like smoothies & sandwiches]. I am planning on starting culinary arts classes at the local community college in fall, but will be learning "on the job" before I ever start school. I did get copies of our policies & procedures and am studying them, but I thought it'd be helpful to ask for any first hand advice. If it matters, this is a maximum security men's prison [same place i've been as a c.o. for the past several years].
Sponsorship
December 21, 2008 6:06 PM quote 
Steve A is offline Steve A

Check your private messages, Carolina.

From what I remember my friend telling me, his primary job was administrative (paper pusher) and baby-sitting. I'm going to try to get hold of him for you. He has an extensive background in correctional facility food service.

Ciao,

Give 'em what they want. Just make it better than they expected. 

December 22, 2008 5:37 PM quote 
Steve A is offline Steve A

In the mean time I'm also trying to get ahold of PrisonChef (Jack) to lend you a hand.

Ciao,

Give 'em what they want. Just make it better than they expected. 

Sponsorship
January 20, 2009 5:03 PM quote 
prisonchef is offline prisonchef

girl,

let's start with safety never give out your private information. never allow an inmate to totally remove the lid from a can as these can be used as a razor frezby. never go into a cooler or freezer with a prisoner alone. ok. now keep close tabs on anything containing sugar. this includes the obvious granulated stuff but think in terms of what i can make hooch with. things like juices or fresh fruits. keep close eyes near warm areas with the booster for the dishwasher being a good area as these remain warm they make great fermentation areas. in your spice areas keep really close tabs on the spice nutmeg as they will try to hit that hard since if you take enough of it you will get a high similar to lsd. on your serving lines watch them like hawks as they will try to hook up their buddies with extra food and screw their enemies. also make sure you have your head up as most fights are going to happen in the serving lines since that where most gaurds let their own gaurd down.never ever trust a prisoner as they will con you and the next thing you know they are boosting food out of the kitchen. more than likely the knives will be on lanyards. make sure they are in fact padlock secured to the work station. make them do all the grunt work while you do the check in on all food products. past that have a good time. the 4 years i spent teaching culinary arts at the boys prison was the most rewarding time i ever had as a chef. if you need further advice just email at

jack

2 Greyhounds....SMOKIN!!!!
"It's Tail Waggin Good"
March 17, 2009 3:04 PM quote 
tiedie is offline tiedie
 Correctional Food Service

I have 5 years experience in Correctional Food Service, and 18 prior years in regular food service. As far as comparing regular food service to correctional there is nothing simular. It depends upon your institutional count of course, my prison has over 2400 inmates and its a min-med facility, and the inmates come to the chow hall. If your working side by side with these inmates  just remember FIRM FAIR AND CONSISTENT these are three words that I had drilled into my head and they are very important. About policies and procedures, sure look at them, but just remember this if  you don't think its fair or a good idea and you would get into trouble for it, it probably violates some policy or procedure. As far as utensils, again it depends on your prison our knives are locked down on cables but the inmates use them. The main thing is accountability always know where your "tools" are and who has them. There is always lots of paper work to do and a lot of hoops to jump through when it comes to sanitation. If your insitution is ACA, then there are going to be even more rules and regs about sanitation. In my prison its like pulling teeth to get some inmates to clean according to sanitation policies. And sometimes your going to really feel like a well paid babysitter. But just remember you go home at the end of the day and they don't. I hope some of t his is helpful and good luck

April 27, 2012 7:13 AM quote 
Jane is offline Jane
Suspended

A good food service only can offered by an organization or company.A company that has an active safety program not only realizes a reduction in workers' compensation costs but also an increase in employee productivity. Customers benefit from consistent food quality, timely service, and improved company reputation.

June 27, 2012 5:32 AM quote 
tammyspellings is offline tammyspellings
Suspended

I'd imagine the worst part about prison is the food. I'm sure eating healthy isn't on the mind of inmates, nor is it a concern. I would rather take the death penalty than eat a trashy prison diet void of anything of health.

March 13, 2013 6:04 PM quote 
jhend is offline jhend
Suspended

Prisoners are still humans, they deserve to eat healthy foods, it doesn't mean they commit crime, we would just leave them behind and just disregard their health, people can still change. At this moment, the ways in prison are slowly changing, unlike in the past where prisoners are taken for granted.

Dream big, it is free. Generic Sildenafil

All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: August 30, 2014 12:11 AM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.