Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > Restaurant Biz Talk > Fountain drink ice makers

Viewing Thread: Fountain drink ice makers
Subscribe
March 23, 2009 10:44 PM quote 
browe is offline browe

Quote (original post by: chefmel)

Welcome Browe!

I couldn't tell you how Coke works as we use Pepsi in my hotel.  I will tell you that we recently had to replace a fountain system in our banquet serving area and Pepsi installed the system that we have to add ice to.  The old system ran with a compressor which was what broke, and  Pepsi must have figured the new system with the ice bin was less expensive for them.  Keep in mind that fountain machines with an ice bin have to have ice in them at all times during use.  The ice helps keep the soda carbonated.  If you let the ice run out, eventually the soda will go flat.  I'd try to get Coke to install the machine with the automatic ice maker attached.  And I agree with a previous post - even if Pepsi isn't in the picture, there's no reason your Coke rep needs to know that - tell them that Pepsi's working hard to get your business.

Good Luck!

Mark

Oh don't worry.  Coke will think Pepsi has a chance and is being aggressive.  I was told today by our local Coke rep that they no longer provide the machines with the built-in ice maker.

Sponsorship
March 27, 2009 6:41 AM quote 
chefmel is offline chefmel
 I agree with the Coke service issue

I agree with twotoe on the service issues with coke in the past.  We had the exact same issues in the 90's - Coke basically gave us no choice but to switch to Pepsi.  They lost two 1200 seat restaurants and the 365 room hotel that I work at in the deal, and they've been trying to get back in ever since!  I'm suprised to hear Coke won't give you an ice maker - when I spoke to them a couple of months ago, they offered to put in a machine with an ice maker in our employee lounge!

Mark

March 27, 2009 12:01 PM quote 
Brandon94275 is offline Brandon94275

Coke didn't stop offering machines with ice makers. That is a load. This rep thinks he already has you. Whether you want to use Pepsi or not, you need to at least let them bid on your restaurant and play them against the Coke guy. Right now, you're an easy mark to the Coke rep. He doesn't want to offer you an ice maker because they cost more money, and he is lying to you outright. This is a one-sided negotiation and he is holding all the cards.

Brandon O'Dell
email:

O'Dell Restaurant Consulting

phone: (888) 571-9068
web: http://www.bodellconsulting.com
blog: http://blog.bodellconsulting.com
Sponsorship
March 27, 2009 12:34 PM quote 
BurgerMan1 is offline BurgerMan1

Unless you are in GA the home of Coca-Cola, or in NC the home of Pepsi, there probably isn't much difference in the choice you make as far as the customers are concerned.

However, the dark cola products will be your best seller, the other products that both companies carry will make up the bulk of your sales.  I believe that is what makes a difference in the products.  I believe that Pepsi having Mt. Dew, Dr. Pepper (in this area), A&W Rootbeer makes it a better selection.  However, Coca-Cola having 7-Up is a plus.

"This business isn't about what the customer sees...It's about what the customer believes!"

April 7, 2009 1:32 PM quote 
boogie is offline boogie

I switched from Pepsi to Coke but so what. It hasn't mattered.  I took into consideration losing the Mt Dew but again, so what.  Folks, we're in this for the FOOD. 

But back to the topic.  We only have space for a six flavor unit with an ice bin.  It's behind my counter.  There is an ice machine in the back of the kitchen an we do have to run ice several times a day to keep the bin full.  In general I like the arrangment.  Ice machines are notorious for breakdowns.  If your unit is an all-in-one then you are S.O.L.  until the repairman arrives.  If you go that route make sure you get one big enough.  Keep in mind the production (pounds) of ice they will claim is over a twenty-four hour period.

Sucks when you run out of ice in the summertime..  And yes the Coke rep is bullstuffing.

April 9, 2009 5:15 PM quote 
browe is offline browe

Quote (original post by: boogie)

I switched from Pepsi to Coke but so what. It hasn't mattered.  I took into consideration losing the Mt Dew but again, so what.  Folks, we're in this for the FOOD. 

But back to the topic.  We only have space for a six flavor unit with an ice bin.  It's behind my counter.  There is an ice machine in the back of the kitchen an we do have to run ice several times a day to keep the bin full.  In general I like the arrangment.  Ice machines are notorious for breakdowns.  If your unit is an all-in-one then you are S.O.L.  until the repairman arrives.  If you go that route make sure you get one big enough.  Keep in mind the production (pounds) of ice they will claim is over a twenty-four hour period.

Sucks when you run out of ice in the summertime..  And yes the Coke rep is bullstuffing.

I was in a place the other day that had a Lancer machine with a Scotsman Prodigy ice maker above it.  That to me is the perfect unit.

May 3, 2009 10:37 PM quote 
famouspizza is offline famouspizza

From my experience both Coke & Pepsi will provide the fountain and you have to by the ice machine on top. I just added another 6 head fountain last month. With my first machine I bought a Cornelius unit and just bought a Manitowac cuber for my new machine. I have had no problems with my Cornelius and actually prefer it over the Manitowac. They are both water cooled because air cooled would make the dining room hotter. I prefer the ice machine over the fountain instead of filling up a bin if you do not need ice in other areas. During peak periods and depending on your usage you may run out..check the specs on production. PS for what it is worth I love Coke (product) but switched to Pepsi this year. They are much better in service and price. They also will give you $$ to switch and pretty much anything you ask for Beware that Pepsi has a "blocker" that restricts ice flow to the chute so you use more syrup..take the 5 min to remove so your waitress will wait to fill the cup all the way and save you $$...gotta hand it to them for that freakin idea
July 21, 2009 2:50 AM quote 
Coachp is offline Coachp

Oh don't worry.  Coke will think Pepsi has a chance and is being aggressive.  I was told today by our local Coke rep that they no longer provide the machines with the built-in ice maker.

I spoke with pepsi rep today as it is more popular and cheaper and they too stated that the operator is responsible for the ice machine. They do not have a vested interest in which type, but gladly stated that they would supply any adapters, parts, connectors to mount the ice maker above their bin if desired. i have a lot of research to do before diving into fountains as drinks are complimentary and just opened the door with cans, now wanting to switch.

July 21, 2009 9:24 PM quote 
bassrocker4u2 is offline bassrocker4u2

my last place was in savannah. i had my own soda disp. 6 hd. i learned real quick how to repair mantain and replace any parts. saparate ice machine that wa leased... best decision ever!  i dont believe for a second, that they will offer you e penny per ounce. hmm  thats  128 oz times 5  gal.. = 640 oz  or  $6.40  ?    yea right.   normal price is how much today?? 75$,  per bib ? 

now, i sell our of my own cooler, a variety of coke and pepsi products... all cans.   for a buck. best food cost i ever had for beverage.   average .25%

peace!

February 27, 2010 4:22 PM quote 
vesper is offline vesper

Is anyone filtering their water for ice and soft drinks? Or do the machines get hooked to the tap? I have a Refrigerator Water Filter and want to know if filtering water has become mainstream in eating establishments or if customers are still getting water from questionable taps?

All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: September 22, 2014 8:16 PM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.