Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > Restaurant Biz Talk > Your best staff meeting ideas here, please.

Viewing Thread: Your best staff meeting ideas here, please.
Subscribe
May 13, 2009 6:56 PM quote 
Gridley13 is offline Gridley13
 Your best staff meeting ideas here, please.
We are slowly getting into the tradition of having staff meetings at regular intervals. Last meeting I included a quiz. One for kitchen staff and one for front of the house. Lo and behold, everyone scored well and I was able to point out that they did indeed KNOW where dirty towels go, and other complicated issues. This meeting I plan to do an idea I got here. Start with $1000 in monopoly money and say that is our total income for the day. One by one the staff will come and pick a card that shows the expenses for the day and will deduct that amount, showing how much profit actually comes from each $1000 of income. I love this idea! Are there any other good meeting ideas that seem to really help with staff performance? I'd love to have them!
Sponsorship
May 13, 2009 10:29 PM quote 
ByronO is offline ByronO

Hey Grid,

I'm not sure if you serve wine, but I always like to finish with a wine tasting/siminar food pairing.  This not only seems to help attendance but also helps servers in thier wine knowledge.

I've also done role playing where I give the server playing the guest a card with thier issue on it then another server has to approach the table and solve the problem.

Have fun!

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  -HST

May 14, 2009 2:32 AM quote 
PSutherland is offline PSutherland

Get staff to contribute to meetings but just let them know the week before what the theme of the meeting will be for the following week so they have some time to prepare and think about it.

One meeting you might ask everyone to think of the most challenging issue that came up for them in the previous week and then have everyone brainstorm some of the best solutions.

To compare three of the top 'start a restaurant business' resources visit -

www.startarestaurantbiz.com

Sponsorship
May 14, 2009 2:14 PM quote 
Effektz is offline Effektz

Yorur monolopy idea sounds interesting, but why? Are your employees stealing or not trying to sell as hard as they should be? I just don't see how showing your servers how much profit you make per $1000 is going to encourage them to sell more when they'll just be making YOU more money.

Grat and the Restaurant Clique

May 14, 2009 5:07 PM quote 
Foodservice Rewards is offline Foodservice Rewards

Do you use Foodservice Reward Labels to get Free stuff?

May 27, 2009 10:58 AM quote 
Gridley13 is offline Gridley13

The monopoly money idea isn't about showing them how much profit we make. It is showing them how LITTLE profit we make on seemingly large amounts of income. And when you tell them their potential raise comes from the profits, they have an interest in the profits themselves.
December 14, 2010 12:11 AM quote 
ThePosMan is offline ThePosMan
 ASI Back office programming help

I was an ASI dealer for 5 years.  PM me and we can talk... I do not work for free -- not to be rude but I am sure you would not allow me to eat in your Restaurant and not pay...

Jerry

December 14, 2010 1:16 PM quote 
BurgerMan1 is offline BurgerMan1

Grid, a good game to play (I hate calling it a game) is the Price is Right.  Choose different items that the restaurant purchases and let employees guess how much it costs.  Sometimes this will open their eyes to how much it costs to operate a restaurant.

"This business isn't about what the customer sees...It's about what the customer believes!"

December 14, 2010 11:23 PM quote 
Brandon94275 is offline Brandon94275

Your training manual is a great place to come up with ideas for staff meetings. At every staff meeting, you should include a segment for "on-going training and review". Choose something your staff was supposed to have learned in training and review it. Also, this is a great opportunity to share changes in any laws that affect the employee, like the upcoming healthcare law, health codes, labor laws, etc.

There are also things that likely don't make it into your original training that can be tackled in a segment in monthly meetings, like your disaster plan, first aid and CPR, food safety, HAZMAT manual review, etc.

Brandon O'Dell
email:

O'Dell Restaurant Consulting

phone: (888) 571-9068
web: http://www.bodellconsulting.com
blog: http://blog.bodellconsulting.com
December 17, 2010 5:21 PM quote 
The Original Tom is offline The Original Tom

I've done the Monopoly money idea - in somewhat different form but basically the same thing.  It will impact some.  Others are just too stupid to get it.  They assume that since you are the "big time" owner you must be living a life filled with champagne tastes and caviar dreams. 

The one thing that made the biggest impression on my staff was the "highway robbery"  cost of processing credit/debit cards. 

All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: October 24, 2014 12:03 PM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.