Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > Chefs and Cooks Corner > Resurfacing a Flat Top

Viewing Thread: Resurfacing a Flat Top
Subscribe
February 1, 2011 11:53 AM quote 
Borbeaux is offline Borbeaux
 Resurfacing a Flat Top

I've done a little searching on the interwebs, but haven't seen much on how to resurface a griddle flat top. I inherited it with the restaurant we took over. It doesn't have a non stick coating that I can see. As far as I can tell it's just a 1/2" peice of steel sitting over four burners with a backsplash. I honestly have no idea how old it is. But it has the marks from use; gouges from cleaning too aggresively and nicks from an overzealous spatula monger. They get in the way when we try to use the griddle scraper and now the scraper blade is nicked. So now the scraper leaves it's own marks when we use it.

It's looks like it would be simple enough to drag outside after closing on a Sunday afternoon with a few beers and grind it down with an orbital sander or belt sander. As long as you finish with a fine enough grit it should polish up pretty good, then reseason, and good to go?...I don't know.

I'm sure I'm not the only one in the universe who has had a blemished griddle. How have any of you dealt with similar issues?

Borbeaux

Sponsorship
February 1, 2011 8:20 PM quote 
BigTip is offline BigTip

I have one of those removal ones that fit over four burners on a range that cost about $100.  I had it in storage for several years, and it got rusted. I thought I could just polish it up and use it.  I did, but if I had to do it over, I would spend the $100.  It was a lot of work because it was pitted up pretty good.  But after grinding with a stone wheel on my drill, then finishing with a belt sander, it is serving our needs nicely.

So yes, it can be done.  Just takes some elbow grease.

February 5, 2011 11:10 PM quote 
chrispy is offline chrispy

First get a good file from the hardware store, you need to file the edge on your grill scraper. Don’t sharpen it like a knife, sharpen it like a blade on an ice skate, so you get a edge that is square to the blade of the scraper. This will get rid of the nicked edge gouging the surface of the flat top.Do this once or twice thru the week depending how much you use it.

How do you clean your flat top at the end of the day? Try using a grill screen and some cooking oil; you may need to use more than one screen as they get worn out. Anyway using a couple of these should improve the surface of the grill. Doing this every day will improve the surface. In the morning or when you open heat your grill and wipe on a thin layer of oil, this will season it  making it almost like a non stick coating.

Hope this helps

Chris

Too much of a good thing can be wounderful... Mae West
Sponsorship
February 9, 2011 8:08 PM quote 
Borbeaux is offline Borbeaux

Thanks for your responses so far.

BigTip:

I hear ya on the elbow grease. I'm not sure how removable the top is, but I'll look into it. Moving that thing and grinding it would be a bear no matter how you stack it. If there is a replacement and it's affordable, it might be worth saving my time. I just have to research the make and model.

Chrispy:

Yea, the scraper I got came with a blade already sharpened like a knife. I'll try squaring it off. Also, I've seen other people recommend a grill screen for cleaning. Currently this is the cleaning routine-

Oil & grill brick, then water, and a good wiping, then seasoning.

I'm already thinking about changing the end of day routing on cleaning the thing. But, I'm sure we don't need to get into that on this thread, cause I've seen plenty of other threads on the subject.

All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: April 24, 2014 7:01 PM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.