Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > Restaurant Biz Talk > Waffle Iron

Viewing Thread: Waffle Iron
Subscribe
April 15, 2013 8:16 AM quote 
apul is offline apul
 Waffle Iron

Help! I am opening a breakfast/lunch restaurant for a client and was wondering how important waffles are to the menu. If we have to add waffles, what is the best way to go? When I managed a hotel a number of years back there was a waffle company deal where they supplied the iron and we shad to buy their batter - I think. Looking for some guidance.

Paul Morgan

www.plan4profits.com

Sponsorship
April 16, 2013 2:02 PM quote 
michael112931 is offline michael112931

Paul....

Carbon's Golden Malted.....That's the company that does the irons and the mix. Some distributors are also selling pre-made Belgian Waffles that you just have to "crisp" in the oven. No fuss, no muss, no clean-up and pretty good if you aren't doing the "SHOW". Know what I mean.

As far as how important they are....well, if you're a "Waffle House", I guess they would be important. If your focus is truly breakfast, yes they are important. Then, you can add Fried Chicken and Waffles for lunch...kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak....

Good Luck,

Chef Mike

Last edited: April 19, 2013 2:28 AM by michael112931
April 17, 2013 11:42 AM quote 
chefdave is offline chefdave

Paul;

have always found that waffles are a neccesary evil on the breakfast menu. You need two irons to keep up with inevitable rush after you sell the first one-mob mentality?! More than usual the iron just sits there heating the kitchen un-used. We also did savoury waffles at both lunch and dinner; never really found much value in having the inventory and irons sitting around.

I have used Carbon's product but preferred to use a company here in Ontario called Heartland Waffles, they have their own mixes and is a few $ less than Carbon, not sure if you can get it down where you are.

hope this helps and good luck on your newest endeavour.

"He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. Amen" ~ German Monk (name unknown)

Sponsorship
April 23, 2013 9:39 AM quote 
chefmel is offline chefmel
 Carbons

Hi Mike,

Carbon's waffles - www.goldenmalted.com.  I've used them for years and have had great success with their product.  Free Irons and they will change out the plates for you when they start sticking.  My guy comes once a month so you have to plan ahead on your needs depending on how often your sales rep is in the area.

Mark

April 24, 2013 9:01 AM quote 
apul is offline apul
 thanks

This is what forums are for. Relevant information, opinions and comments/

Paul Morgan

www.plan4profits.com

All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: December 19, 2014 4:36 PM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.