Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > Chefs and Cooks Corner > green eggs

Viewing Thread: green eggs
Subscribe
October 7, 2000 8:52 AM quote 
 is offline
I know there can be many reasons cooked eggs turn green . . .sitting too long, using foil to hold heat in . .etc. I just want to make sure I've touched on every possibility for the reason behind "green eggs". I welcome other ideas/reasons for "green eggs".
Sponsorship
October 7, 2000 10:08 AM quote 
 is offline
Hope this helps a a bit.

Dave Smania
Foodservice.com

A greenish ring around hard-cooked eggs in the result of sulphur and iron compounds in the egg reacting at the
surface of the yolk. Although the color may be a bit unappealing, the eggs are still wholesome and nutritious and
their flavor is unaffected. Greenish yolks can best be
avoided by using the proper cooking time and temperature and
by rapidly cooling the cooked eggs. Usually, eggs have been
cooked at too high a temperature, for too long a time, or
they have not been rapidly cooled following cooking.

From http://www.extension.uiuc.edu/~robsond/solutions/nutrition/docs/janan093.html

Cooperative Extension Service
University of Illinois
October 7, 2000 11:49 AM quote 
 is offline
To avoid Scrambled Eggs turning green on the buffet line:
Cook in small batches only enough that will be used in 30 to 45 minutes.

Cook the eggs slowly over low heat.

Hold them at the lowest heat possible.

Keep them in a chafer at the lowest heat possible.

Add a small amout of white vinegar (not enough to alter the taste) will also help.

------------------
Timothy Banning Editor
Society of Mad Chefs
Sponsorship
October 10, 2000 2:44 PM quote 
 is offline
Hi Stephanie:
The way I do it to avoid the eggs turning green:
1) I add a touch of heavy cream before I finish cooking the eggs.
2)Use a plastic 200 pan to keep the eggs on a buffet.
3)Cook small batches and exchange them often
4)Avoid cooking the eggs in aluminum skillets, try to use stainless steel or teflon
5) Avoid overcooking the eggs

Hope I could be of any help to you
Chef Rene
October 13, 2000 5:05 AM quote 
 is offline
The other responses to the egg question are right on in my opinion. Most people make the mistake of overcooking hard boiled eggs and not cooling them as described so I would really pay attention to that detail. When we serve large quantities of scrambled eggs we add a little "Culinary Cream" from Minor's. It is a pre-reduced heavy cream and helps keep the eggs soft and maintains the color. Again though, overcooking will cause most of the problems.

------------------
Doug Allen CEC
Birmingham, AL
October 13, 2000 5:32 AM quote 
 is offline
The easiest way to combat green eggs when holding in a steam table is to use an egg product such as Liquid Table Ready Eggs from Papetti Hygrade Eggs. This is a pasteuized egg product with citric acid added to keep the eggs from turning green and the flavor is not affected. This product is real egg in its natural white to yolk ratioand is guaranteed to be salmonella and listeria free. Papetti also makes a hard cooked egg with the shell removed. The yolks are perfectly centered and are never green. For more information regarding Papetti and their line of egg products, you can call 1-800-447-3447.
October 13, 2000 8:14 AM quote 
 is offline
I remember a friend of mine who worked for Marriot saying they would use a little bread crumbs, heavy cream and a little orange juice to keep eggs from turining green.

May 6, 2013 7:30 PM quote 
pauuly51 is offline pauuly51
 Green Eggs

Hi Everyone,

To prevent green boiled eggs we place eggs in a pan of cold water, add salt, bring to a boil and turn off heat. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes, cool with cold water right away and then add ice.  You may have to adjust time 20 to 30 start with 20. You need to catch it as soon as it boils, if you leave boiling to long you will end up with green eggs.  Let me know if you try this, Thanks  Paul

All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: September 30, 2014 9:49 AM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.