Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > CafTalk (OnSite / Non-commercial) > Patient select menus - help!

Viewing Thread: Patient select menus - help!
Subscribe
October 18, 2001 8:43 PM quote 
 is offline
I recently took a position as a supervisor at a larger hospital from where I was the director at a smaller one. The larger hospital has skilled and LTC- so state says you need to have the alternate. How much do you all let your patients select their menu? Where I used to work they got what was first choice. This new place lets them pick everything -a lot of labor, pots and pans and food cost seems high. Any input on your systems? Please help - appreciate any input. Thanks!
Sponsorship
October 22, 2001 8:24 PM quote 
 is offline
Do you have any retail at the new hospital?
If you do this may be the answer to your problem. You could offer these patients one of your choices from this menu and you can control your cost by choosing what you offer.
Or if you have a meals on wheels you could spin that menu into another choice.

The state rules can be a pain, but we know that we have to follow them. I am at a LTC facility and we actually have to send menus up to all of the residents and give them the option to choose from 2 items. We don't get the counts back until 9 A.M. the day of the meal.

I think another option is to offer a sandwich plate as youe second choice, and it might be possible to make them to order.

I hope that this may help.

------------------
October 27, 2001 11:10 PM quote 
 is offline
Our Hospital went to a non-select menu, to help cut costs. We have a small 14 bed skilled nursing unit in our Hospital that falls under the title 22 regulations in Calif. We post the monthly menu in the Patient's room, our food service staff check with the Patients when they deliver food trays, to see if they want what is on the menu for the next day, or if they would like a sub. As long as we have a system in place to offer them a something else we have not had any problems with any regulations. Even when we had a select menu, and the Patient had 3 choices per meal, we still did special requests. We try to use the cafe food as much as possible, but it they are on a special diet, cafe food does not always work.
We have saved some money going to a non-select but not as much as we thought. Our Patient survey's are starting to come back better. In the beginning the Patients did not like not having a choice. We are a small Hospital, so a lot of our Patients are repeats and knew our system and enjoyed filling out their menu's. The lenght of stay is so short now, that the select menu process doesn't really have time to work. The cooks always have a roast or turkey cooked so can offer hot turkey or beef sandwiches. Sometimes I will send the cook out to talk to the Patient, once they talked to the patient , they don't seem to mind so much if they have to make something off the menu. I have heard some Hospital's are going to a room service type menu, the Patient can call and order what they want when they want...
Sponsorship
October 27, 2001 11:25 PM quote 
 is offline
Our Hospital went to a non-select menu, to help cut costs. We have a small 14 bed skilled nursing unit in our Hospital that falls under the title 22 regulations in Calif. We post the monthly menu in the Patient's room, our food service staff check with the Patients when they deliver food trays, to see if they want what is on the menu for the next day, or if they would like a sub. As long as we have a system in place to offer them something else we have not had any problems with any regulations. Even when we had a select menu, and the Patient had 3 choices per meal, we still did special requests. We try to use the cafe food as much as possible, but it they are on a special diet, cafe food does not always work.
We have saved some money going to a non-select but not as much as we thought. Our Patient survey's are starting to come back better. In the beginning the Patients did not like not having a choice. We are a small Hospital, so a lot of our Patients are repeats and knew our system and enjoyed filling out their menu's. The lenght of stay is so short now, that the select menu process doesn't really have time to work. The cooks always have a roast or turkey cooked so can offer hot turkey or beef sandwiches. Sometimes I will send the cook out to talk to the Patient, once they talked to the patient , they don't seem to mind so much if they have to make something off the menu. I have heard some Hospital's are going to a room service type menu, the Patient can call and order what they want when they want...At least I don't have to deal with that.
All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: October 31, 2014 12:55 PM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.