Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > Food Safety > Dead Lobsters??

Viewing Thread: Dead Lobsters??
Subscribe
September 19, 2002 10:02 AM quote 
 is offline
Anyone out there have information regarding cooking lobsters that have died? Is it safe to eat a lobster if it has died before the big boil?

I recently refused to serve a lobster as I knew that it had been dead for at least 24 hours. I was severely reprimanded and got into an arguement with the prep cook. I asked him if the lobster I was serving was dead before boiling. He was very angry with me and told me to mind my own business. You see I brought a "live" one from the tank into the kitchen only to be told "that's alright I have a one pounder here". i knew that one pounder was the one in his cooler that had died the previous night.

Anyone have 100% information on this? Thanx
Sponsorship
September 19, 2002 9:00 PM quote 
 is offline
As long as the Lobster has been kept cold, like under 40 degrees, then theoretically it is safe for consumption for 24 hours. After cooking it you should examine the tail meat. If it is not firm and uniform in color and texture then cook a new one. If it's firm and proper in looks then it's safe.
If the Lobster died out at room temp then I would cook it right away and use it for a salad or bisque or amuse buche.
So without being there when the Lobster deceased I think you did the safest thing.
Lates,
Jon
September 20, 2002 8:13 PM quote 
 is offline
For years and years, lobstermen have said: if it's dead - don't eat it.

You make the choice if you disagree.
Sponsorship
September 21, 2002 7:08 PM quote 
 is offline
Momma always always said "Life is like a box od chocolate, you never know what you're gonna get"

Jon
November 26, 2002 2:05 PM quote 
 is offline
Would you want your mother to eat a dead lobster? or a dead mussel?...there is a chemical breakdown in shell fish that becomes toxic when they die.
November 26, 2002 5:46 PM quote 
 is offline
Careful what you say about my momma now.
Keep it clean.
Jon
November 27, 2002 3:22 PM quote 
 is offline
lol..........ok sorry jon my bad...i just care about your momma...lol
December 21, 2002 9:33 AM quote 
 is offline
did I hear the chef was reprimanded by his prep cook??? argument???

say it isn't so!!!

within 24 hrs... in amuse or soup garnish or cold application sounds best

Rich's lobstermen rule of thumb always holds true, but because we run lobster bisque year round DOA's always end up in the lobster stock

but "always" the judgement call of the chef must prevail
August 19, 2003 1:38 PM quote 
 is offline
since when does a prep cook have so much authority?
All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: October 22, 2014 11:00 PM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.