Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > Chefs and Cooks Corner > can you freeze mayo based chicken salad?

Viewing Thread: can you freeze mayo based chicken salad?
Subscribe
April 23, 2003 3:58 PM quote 
 is offline

I was wondering if it is feasable to freeze mayo based chicken salad, and if so, what the shelf life would be.
We had an off prem event and quite a bit came back.
I don't know if I can utilize any of it or just toss it and take the loss.
Sponsorship
April 23, 2003 5:53 PM quote 
 is offline
Was the chicken salad kept under temp during transportation and during the event? If it was for a buffet, was it in a bowl without a chill source, or in ice, or another refridgeration unit? Most the time during off premise caterings, it's tough to keep cold items below temp to keep them free from bacteria. Your state health codes will give you the exact amount of time a food can be above holding temperature and still be safe. I don't know your situation but I wouldn't trust that the product is safe to reuse. As far as freezing chicken salad, the shelf life should depend on the container. Could be good for a few weeks, could stay good for years. If you're using a commercial mayonaisse, the product is pasteurized which will help add to it's life in any storage situation. Since your mixing it with other ingredients, the volutibility of the finished product should be concurrent with the most instable ingredient, which won't be the mayonaisse. I'd worry more about the condition of the product than the freezing and holding process. Good luck.

Brandon
April 24, 2003 8:11 AM quote 
 is offline
Hi:
Brandon is right, follow his advise. I have never froze a chicken or tuna salad, I am pretty sure you can do it but I think when you defrost it, you probably have to add fresh mayo. If the condition of the salad was good I would wash off the mayonnaise and make a soup out of it. Just an idea
Good Luck
Chef Rene
Sponsorship
May 8, 2003 11:34 AM quote 
 is offline

If you freeze it, it won't be very good when you thaw it out. I wouldn't recommend it.
All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: July 25, 2014 11:55 AM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.