Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > Restaurant Biz Talk > Coke v Pepsi reps

Viewing Thread: Coke v Pepsi reps
Subscribe
September 8, 2004 2:52 PM quote 
 is offline
Looking to hear from anyone who has deal with or deals with Coke or Pepsi. Who seems more eager to please? What have YOU been offered? Words of advice? Experiences?

I have recently been offere a cooler to stock beverages in front, a large douuble door fridge for in back, a lighted sign in front to go exclusive. Please note it is a small deli. Looking forward to hearing feedback!
Sponsorship
September 8, 2004 4:00 PM quote 
 is offline
Hey Bluematt

It is tough to make a descision on who to use. I will tell you alot of your customers have a preference. I switched from Coke to Pepsi about 3 years ago based on Coke's problem with customer service in my area. I still keep 6 packs of coke behind the bar for customers who are adament about needing a Coke.

It wasn't until I switched that I noticed my customers having a preference. I live in Texas and here they call everything a Coke. (Pepsi, Sprite and Dr. Pepper are all known as Coke) I noticed that many customers were glad we had Pepsi instead of Coke. Also vis-a-versa. I was shocked to see that my my number for Coke/Pepsi drinkers stayed the same. It wasn't that big of change for most. I seen about a 30% increase in my Diet Pepsi sales. Turns out many people prefer the taste of Diet Pepsi to Diet Coke. I saw a little slip in Sprite drinkers now having to drink Sierra Mist but nothing major. I carried Dr.Pepper with both comapnies. I recently added Diet Dr.Pepper to the line up and the results were rather shocking as well. Enough about that.

The big change for me was service and price. My cost on BIB went down $9.50 per 5gal. box and I get more from a 5 gal. box than with coke. Less ordering. Also Pepsi gave me several coolers and refridge units to keep products cold. Tons of table tents and signage were available but I declined to take them. Also we get a check cut every quarter for $1500 at each of 2 locations. The Pepsi rep comes by and has lunch at least once a week. While here he also checks up on me. My area is known for bad tasting water and Pepsi offered to put in a water filtration system to help the quality. After 2 years of asking Coke for this they refused. Pepsi even changes the filters every 4 months without me calling and asking them. My order are sent from somewhere else but the local company keeps a good amount on hand incase I ever slip up the order. My overall saving was about 17% without figuring in the rebate.

In my opinion I would go with a company that provided great service. If you are using a fountain system it is often tough on how to tell the difference between each product. Especially when water quality comes into play.

Tony

You might also be interested in this thread. Coca-Cola Exclusive beverage contract
September 8, 2004 4:20 PM quote 
 is offline
Thanks for the great information. The coke guy seemed to push the bottles and hesitate on the fountain. What do the fountains need as far as plumbing etc? Also can anyone speak to the difference in profit margins? Thanks!
Sponsorship
September 8, 2004 5:24 PM quote 
 is offline
Seems like #2 always try harder....I've always received better service from Pepsi than Coke. I prefer the pre-mix tanks, seems like they have a better taste than post-mix.

What you will need will depend on the type of unit, typically a pre-mix unit will require only a water drain, the refrigeration lines will be kept cold by the ice bin. No power or water supply will be required.

A post-mix unit will require a water supply, drain, and electrical. You will also need a brix unit that will calibrate the unit, this needs to be done weekly.

Sanatizing of both units should be done twice per year, usually done by Pepsi or Coke.

Again, my first choice would be Pepsi pre-mix for the best quality drink.

Howard
September 8, 2004 5:40 PM quote 
 is offline
Pepsi did try to get me to do bottles. They came to me after the other deal was in place. There were to sell me 20oz. plastic bottles for .69 cents each. Needless to say I have never sold bottles.

The problem with a fountain is the C02. You have to have a C02 cylinder in place in order to serve Fountain drinks. This is not a big deal nor is it expensive. You aleo need access to water and a drain for the catch pan.

I am unaware of you location and what you would pay there. Because of this it is tough to run the numbers for you.

I would guess but it may not even ba acurate enough to get a tru definition.

How many covers do you have per day?

Tony
September 8, 2004 6:10 PM quote 
 is offline
<<<<-- will drink water in your location if your serving pepsi products...just a consumers choice!
September 8, 2004 6:47 PM quote 
 is offline
Thanks for the info! What do you mean by "covers"
September 8, 2004 7:21 PM quote 
 is offline
Covers= how many meals you serve

In this case how many meals do you serve a day?

David-Will that be Evian, Ozarka, or Aquafina? LOL (I know your prefernce and Im sorry I don't serve coke. It is not my choice to serve Pepsi (It is Cokes problem with service)

Tony
September 8, 2004 7:28 PM quote 
 is offline
We are not yet open but feel as though 75-85 meals a day for a deli would make it successful. (yes we have broken the numbers down)
September 8, 2004 7:38 PM quote 
 is offline
tony im in the chatroom
All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: October 1, 2014 6:11 AM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.