Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > Finders Keepers! > spray for food display

Viewing Thread: spray for food display
Subscribe
June 23, 2006 12:33 PM quote 
justin is offline justin
 spray for food display
i'm new to the forum so forgive me if i'm in the wrong place.
i have heard about a Spray that goes on the food in a display and keeps it from going bad quickly. the downside is nobody knows what its called. in my restaurant we display pasta, potatoe, and fruit salad. the product dries out after a couple of days and i was just looking for a solution other than throwing out the product everyday.
if anybody has any ideas i would appreciate it.

justin
Sponsorship
June 23, 2006 1:04 PM quote 
BurgerMan1 is offline BurgerMan1

There is a food spray...maybe Beth or Steve can tell you the name of it. However one thing you might consider is using an insert inside the pan, maybe an upside down plastic container, etc...this would cut the amount of loss. Another thing you can do is to cover with Saran wrap, its very transparent and from any distance with a tight fit is almost impossible to see.

HB

"This business isn't about what the customer sees...It's about what the customer believes!"

June 24, 2006 9:00 AM quote 
Beth Food Write is offline Beth Food Write
 It's called hair spray
the cheaper the better, You want the stuff that has the highest alcohol content possible. Go for the $2 for a gallon stuff, and make sure it has an aerosal, not pump sprayer. Of course if you spray - you can't sell or serve it. I used to use it to "glue" cake slices to the dessert tray.

Here is my question - is this strictly for display - see our pretty food? or is it a sell-from deli case?

If it is the pretty food - hairspray acts like a varnish and keeps the food fresh looking. You will still have to throw it out after a few days because it doesn't stop mold or other lovely decay items. Plus food that sits out gets pretty beat up for some reason.

If you are using a deli-sell from, I would go with smaller containers, garnish with sturdy items such as turnip and radish roses, and dump daily.

Beth.

Food Write
The Responsible Serving of Alcoholic Beverages

Sponsorship
June 26, 2006 11:18 AM quote 
justin is offline justin
 pretty food
we are just using this for people to see our pretty food. and we will have it on the top shelf of our deli display cooler that we keep our serving portions in. ive got a couple of cans of spray and will be testing them out this week and will post my scientific findings. thank you for the help.

Jutt
June 26, 2006 5:27 PM quote 
Beth Food Write is offline Beth Food Write
 have fun
aqua net comes to mind

Food Write
The Responsible Serving of Alcoholic Beverages

All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: August 30, 2014 6:10 AM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.