Foodservice.com Forums
Home |  Restaurant BizTalk  |  Chef and Cook's Corner |  Industry Currents |  TechTalk  |  CafTalk  |  Food Safety
Forums New Posts Messages My Account  
Foodservice.com > Chefs and Cooks Corner > knives

Viewing Thread: knives
Subscribe
December 13, 2006 8:51 PM quote 
aunttia is offline aunttia
 knives
Good Evening!
My son just graduated from culinary school and I would like to give him a quality set of knives. I need advice from the experts. What brand is the best, what specific knives should I investigate, etc?
Sponsorship
December 13, 2006 9:03 PM quote 
jazzguy is offline jazzguy

You're going to get a lot of opinions on this one.

I think buying a set of knives is a lot like buying golf clubs, or clothes. A lot of what I like in a knife (or golf clubs) is how they feel. The only one who can make that determination is your son.

Different people have different hands and like different balance points and grips.

If it were me, I'd give him a gift certificate for some knives, and let him choose his own.

You can expect to pay 100-130 or so per large knife, and 30-80 for smaller blades if you buy a premium blade.

A lot of manufacturers sell some very nice knives for much less.

Another thing to consider is buying him a very nice set of sharpening stones. A nice set of stones will last many, many years.

good luck.

bob
aka jazzguy
December 13, 2006 9:04 PM quote 
kaffeenjunkie is offline kaffeenjunkie

Congratulations to the new cook in the house.
I dug up this article for your perusal from the food service archives.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/16128415.htm?CFID=2128341&CFTOKEN=7E8F8A94-C6B3-3C97-26D14C1AB44C4685

Personally, I am attached to my Forshners with rosewood handles.
Good set of working mans blades are that reasonably priced.
I have had my set for over 20 yrs. They have now become the "house" knives and are really taking a beating. I am sure some of the others will chime in.

life is like plastic wrap

"The difference between excellence and mediocrity is a very small effort."
Flatlander

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."
--William Ralph Inge,

Our Website is www.fullcitycafe.com

Find us on Facebook

Twitters and tweets

FOHBOH

Blog

Sponsorship
December 13, 2006 9:18 PM quote 
aunttia is offline aunttia

Thanks kaffeenjunkie and jazzguy. We are very proud of our son and really want to encourage him in his new career. I appreciate the advice and the article. A gift certificate might be the way to go. He has the set of knives he received in his tool kit, and perhaps they will do for a while if I purchase a set of sharpening stones. Any suggestions about those and where I can purchase them? We live in rural New Mexico so shopping is a bit tricky!!!
Again, thanks for your time.
December 13, 2006 9:46 PM quote 

Give this sharpening stone system a look. My chef has one, and I liked it so much I bought my own.

Bob
aka jazzguy

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Norton-3-Stone-IM313-System-P48C18.aspx
December 13, 2006 10:08 PM quote 
damayor is offline damayor

There's no question..

$49.95....Oh yeah, Baby!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
December 13, 2006 11:09 PM quote 

Aunttia!!!!

Don't do it! It's a joke!!!!!

Saw Ron Popeil the other night selling TWO giant sets of knives and a bunch of other stuff for 39.00. Must have been over 100 knives. Wow.......

bob
aka jazzguy
December 14, 2006 12:22 AM quote 
Mark A. is offline Mark A.

I prefer Shun knives myself. Maybe not the best choice for a young chef, because of price and care of. As far as sharpening stones, Norton puts out a really good tri-stone which is what I use.
December 14, 2006 12:47 AM quote 
YVETTE is offline YVETTE

I am with Kaffeen.....I like Forshner with redwood handles.

Y
December 14, 2006 6:47 AM quote 
Kevin Fields is offline Kevin Fields

I've had a set of FH Dick knives for 21 years. As I haven't cooked professionally for many years they've had an easy time recently so are lasting well and I love 'em.

Bought two Henckels for everyday use at home, about two years ago, and very impressed with them.

Everyone has to make their own choice. There's a lot of good steel out there (and a lot of cr4p) so you need to see how they feel in your hand - different handle styles suit different people - and hand sizes.

Red wine may not be the answer, but it helps you forget the question!

All times US/Eastern. Current date and time: October 22, 2014 8:12 AM

Copyright © 1996-2011 Foodservice.com ®. All Rights Reserved.